Saturday, January 19, 2008

cloverfield. oooh! spoilerz!

so, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, for starters.

In my newfound infatuation for the movie Cloverfield, I was reading critics' reviews of the film last night, and was very bothered, even to the point I couldn't get the sleep I was in need of seeing that I was working in six hours.

Alot of the negative feedback about the movie was in reference to the monster, and lack of explanation to it's origin, or even what the hell it was. It's funny to me that the American public refuses to appreciate or enjoy a movie unless EVERYTHING is handed to them on a platter, i.e. what they are dealing with, how it can be killed, and so on. Cloverfield does none of this, and I feel it was necessary for the manner in which the film was potrayed.

potrayed, meaning that it's an entire account of a monster attack on manhattan, all from the perspective of a home video camera. Think about it, if this actually happened, no one would know what the monster was, or where it came from, in the matter of the six or so hours of one night that the film encompasses. The fact that you don't know what it is makes it even scarier, and it severely hurts me to hear people complain about this.

...and people have been comparing it to The Blair Witch Project which I have not seen, however, the only similarity between the two is the home video camera perspective. I've never seen this Blair Witch crap, but i'm pretty sure (from what i've heard) that they never show you what's chasing the people in the film. This movie, however, shows you what is chasing/attacking them, it just doesn't explain what it is...because, if i'm not mistaken, that's the feeling they want to evoke in the viewer...the feeling of sheer terror...knowing that something is coming to get you, knowing what it looks like (CRAZY), but not knowing where it came from, what it wants, or what to do, without having these GLORIOUS (scoff) panning shots of the monster, or the destruction, or a god's eye view (if you will) of just what you're dealing with. Just real, first hand experience of what it would be like.

AND, footage from a home video camera of a helicopter crash from inside the helicopter is freaking awesome.

so to all you bitchy critics that must find fault in EVERYTHING (and that will never read this blog) verily I say unto you:

SHUT.

UP.

I loved it. I'm going to see again, and maybe after that, I WILL SEE IT AGAIN.

and who knows.

MAYBE I'LL SEE IT AGAIN AFTER THAT BITCH.

this film gets a sexy A+++ from magical devinland.

No comments: